comments powered by Disqus
Jeffrey Rogers Hummel - 2/9/2009
I've changed the url in the original post so it now works again.
Ross Levatter - 2/9/2009
My thanks to Jeff for his kind comment and outrageous plug. Aeon's comments were also thoughtful.
Please note that after this posting occurred I modified my blog site such that the link here no longer works. My apologies to anyone inconvenienced. Try: http://web.me.com/rlevatter. Note: NO "www".
Aeon J. Skoble - 2/7/2009
I agree that a miniseries would be better. In some ways, of course, it doesn't matter, because it's arguably unfilmable, in the sense that part of what makes it so great is the way it uses the comic book form to talk about comics. But given the loss of whatever it is that's lost in translation, it's at least possible to do a decent job of it; making a film that is a good film. Based on what I've read, Snyder is aware of this and knows he's in a different medium. That doesn't mean it won't suck, maybe it will. But OTOH I have really liked the clips and viral ads I've seen on line. So maybe, just maybe, it'll be ok. We'll find out in a month I guess. In any case, I do hope everyone reads the book prior to March 6, then my essay, then Ross's book.
Jesse Walker - 2/6/2009
I'm not sure any movie adaptation of Watchmen could succeed. I suspect the novel is too long and complex to work as anything less than a miniseries.
I'm especially dubious that Zack Snyder, director of the execrable 300, will be able to pull it off.
Aeon J. Skoble - 2/6/2009
I should add that I have read a lot of Ross's writings on Watchmen and recommend it highly.
Must...resist...urge...to self-promote...Oh, it's no use. I have also written on this, an essay appearing in this volume: http://www.amazon.com/Superheroes-Philosophy-Justice-Socratic-Popular/dp/0812695739/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233931537&sr=1-1
Aeon J. Skoble - 2/6/2009
I'm hoping, perhaps naively, that the movie will be good. In any event, though, I strongly urge interested parties to read the book first. You still have another month! I'll make it easy for you: http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan-Moore/dp/0930289234/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233931443&sr=8-2
- Richard III Really Ate and Drank Like a King
- Where’s the one place in the world where nobody’s messed with WW II relics?
- Secrets of the Clinton Library
- Beloit College is out with its annual list of what freshman know ... Tiny Tim? Carl Sagan? Forget about it.
- India Bans Indira Gandhi Assassination Film
- A prominent historian of science dies and no one takes notice
- A pro-Hamas Left emerges among historians, complains Jeffrey Herf
- Classicist Mary Beard celebrated by the New Yorker as “The Troll Slayer”
- Ilan Pappé praised in Iran as a "prominent anti-Zionist Israeli historian and intellectual"
- It's hard to be an optimist today, but Juan Cole is