Tempest in a Waffle Cone
comments powered by Disqus
Irfan Khawaja - 8/4/2006
Aeon, you've obviously forgotten the "niggardly" controversy.
I'm surprised no one has seen the obvious homophobia in the name "Dairy Queen." (Actually, I myself have not figured out where the homophobia would be; I just noticed the word "queen" and figured that the combination of words "dairy" and "queen" must be homophobic in some way. If anyone figures out how, tell me.)
As a Pakistani American, I was always deeply offended by the video game Pac Man, where the main character was depicted as a sort marauding, all-consuming, faceless entity. Wow. That's just a really hurtful stereotype that perpetuates the idea that we Pakistanis all unwashed "hordes" (incidentally "horde" is itself derived from the word "Urdu," which is what Pakistanis speak).
Why didn't I start a controversy over that when people actually knew what Pac Man was?
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation