Tempest in a Waffle Cone
comments powered by Disqus
Irfan Khawaja - 8/4/2006
Aeon, you've obviously forgotten the "niggardly" controversy.
I'm surprised no one has seen the obvious homophobia in the name "Dairy Queen." (Actually, I myself have not figured out where the homophobia would be; I just noticed the word "queen" and figured that the combination of words "dairy" and "queen" must be homophobic in some way. If anyone figures out how, tell me.)
As a Pakistani American, I was always deeply offended by the video game Pac Man, where the main character was depicted as a sort marauding, all-consuming, faceless entity. Wow. That's just a really hurtful stereotype that perpetuates the idea that we Pakistanis all unwashed "hordes" (incidentally "horde" is itself derived from the word "Urdu," which is what Pakistanis speak).
Why didn't I start a controversy over that when people actually knew what Pac Man was?
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals
- Two historians are in a race against time to preserve early church records from destruction
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I