Metaphor Is Also a Refuge for Scoundrels
From Paul Krugman’s column today in the New York Times:
“What we need, according to [John Kerry’s view of the country’s health-care problems], is for the government to assume more of the risk….”
Translation: Far heavier tax burdens should be imposed by threat of violence on the most productive people in the country, the very ones who do most of the saving and investing, that is, the financing of life-saving and life-enhancing goods and services.
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!