Video of Dr. T.R.M. Howard (Civil Rights/Self-Help Champion)
This is a film clip of Howard from December 1955 in which he decribes his strategy to fight the credit squeeze by the racist Mississippi white Citizens Councils against civil rights activists.
Howard is the subject of my book, Black Maverick: T.R.M. Howard's Fight for Civil Rights and Economic Power. He was a mentor to Medgar Evers, chief surgeon of a fraternal hospital, one of the wealthiest blacks in Mississippi, Republican candidate for Congress, and champion of self-help and mutual aid. Howard also played a key role in finding witnesses and evidence in the Emmett Till murder case.
For audios of Howard's speeches, including his eulogy at Medgar Evers' funeral, see here.
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 4/13/2009
Much appreciated. Hopefully the reviewers will have the same reaction.
Daniel Klein - 4/10/2009
Thanks for this.
- A prominent historian of science dies and no one takes notice
- A pro-Hamas Left emerges among historians, complains Jeffrey Herf
- Classicist Mary Beard celebrated by the New Yorker as “The Troll Slayer”
- Ilan Pappé praised in Iran as a "prominent anti-Zionist Israeli historian and intellectual"
- It's hard to be an optimist today, but Juan Cole is