"Dwarves" and Folktales
In reply to my fellow Jonathan below, there was a brief thread on H-Africa a few months past regarding folktales of"Mysterious Dwarves" in various parts of Africa.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 10/31/2004
Welcome to Cliopatria!
Interesting stuff. I wonder if there are really 'little people' legends in all the world's cultures? I'm wondering now about East Asia.... there are several Japanese folktales about very tiny individuals (Momotaro, Little one-inch, the Bamboo Cutter's Daughter, are the ones that come to mind offhand), and tricky forest spirits (tengu demons and foxes, mostly). I don't know of any in China, but my Chinese folklore is pretty weak.
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse