University of Southern Mississippi's Accreditation is Threatened
The University of Southern Mississippi, after two and a half years of misrule by President Shelby F. Thames, has been hit with a one-year probation by its accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Thorough coverage by the Hattiesburg American and the Jackson Clarion-Ledger is well worth a read.
Stunned by the outcome, Thames is hastily denying responsibility but has yet to recover the presence of mind to designate a scapegoat. He will need one, particularly since SACS officials have now told the press that the probation was two years in the making. Soon we will know which of Thames' remaining administrative henchpeople has all of a sudden become expendable.
Everyone will want to know how the Institutions of Higher Learning Board of Trustees is going to react to the latest fiasco; the Board meets later this month.
My admittedly cynical prediction is that Thames' chief sponsor, Roy Klumb, and his allies on the Board will publicly deplore the probation and declare that of course Thames will succeed in getting it lifted--while privately rejoicing, and fully expecting Thames to finish the job by getting USM deaccredited.
Further breaking news: the USM chapter of the American Association of University Professors has formally requested an investigation of USM's administration by the national AAUP.
comments powered by Disqus
Chris Matthew Sciabarra - 12/10/2004
You've done such a service by documenting all of this. You should definitely provide an index for all your detailed writings on this important subject. It is remarkable.
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Cornel West and the Insular World of the Obama-Hating Left