Merry Christmas to All Our Readers
Of the websites I regularly check, one is spiked, edited by Mick Hume, the former editor of the monthly magazine LM (Living Marxism). This folded in 2000 when it lost a libel action brought by Independent Television News. Go here for details and links to related stories. Hume is ably assisted by Brendan O'Neill and other writers.
Hume was a Marxist, and I assume remains a Marxist of some sort. His website publishes some interesting stories and they are particularly good on civil liberties, including freedom of speech and the therapeutic state. One of their interests is in debunking contemporary society's preoccupation with exaggerated risks.
Tomorrow being Christmas, you may wish to check out their latest seasonal (and politically incorrect) offerings including Patrick West's "Presents are for primitives", Neil Davenport's "Calling time on the 'demon drink'", and Josie Appleton's "100 Artists See God". comments powered by Disqus
- New Hampshire professors at odds with library over discarded books
- Troubled history fuels Japan-China tension
- Independent Scotland's last gasp forgotten in Panama jungle
- LBJ was the ‘most-threatened president in American history’
- New exhibit at the World War I Museum ... Over by Christmas: August-December 1914
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets
- Diane Ravitch blasts the NYT for failing to understand the controversy over Common Core
- Mormon history professors debate atheists in bid to foster greater understanding