MICHAEL LEWIS: OBAMA CREATING FALSE ECONOMIC CONFIDENCE
For months as I listened to all the" conversation" about the"green shoots" and watched the stock market going up and up, I had a funny feeling that something is not on the up and up but I dared not write a word. But last night and discovered I was not alone. I tuned in to the last minutes of the Charlie Rose show and heard Michael Lewis, the man Rose said was described to him"as best writer about economics today," express similar sentiments:
CHARLIE ROSE: And you think maybe more bad news is to come.comments powered by Disqus
MICHAEL LEWIS: I do think that. I think that the scope of the losses has not been completely acknowledged by the government. I think that the approach that they’ve taken has been to sort of -- it has been -- you know, it works, up to a point. The Obama administration especially has been very good at creating false confidence, they have been very good at talking up the financial institutions, and it is true that.
CHARLIE ROSE: But it’s not just the Obama administration, I mean, it’s outside the Obama administration. I mean, I saw a ticker go today,"Bank CEOs suggest recovery by end of year."
MICHAEL LEWIS: Right.
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!