MICHAEL LEWIS: OBAMA CREATING FALSE ECONOMIC CONFIDENCE
For months as I listened to all the" conversation" about the"green shoots" and watched the stock market going up and up, I had a funny feeling that something is not on the up and up but I dared not write a word. But last night and discovered I was not alone. I tuned in to the last minutes of the Charlie Rose show and heard Michael Lewis, the man Rose said was described to him"as best writer about economics today," express similar sentiments:
CHARLIE ROSE: And you think maybe more bad news is to come.
MICHAEL LEWIS: I do think that. I think that the scope of the losses has not been completely acknowledged by the government. I think that the approach that they’ve taken has been to sort of -- it has been -- you know, it works, up to a point. The Obama administration especially has been very good at creating false confidence, they have been very good at talking up the financial institutions, and it is true that.
CHARLIE ROSE: But it’s not just the Obama administration, I mean, it’s outside the Obama administration. I mean, I saw a ticker go today,"Bank CEOs suggest recovery by end of year."
MICHAEL LEWIS: Right.
You may wish to read (or listen to) the rest. It is not pretty!
comments powered by Disqus
- In words spoken hours before 9-11, hear Bill Clinton say why he could have, but didn’t, kill bin Laden
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”