comments powered by Disqus
David Lion Salmanson - 12/29/2004
Perhaps it is time that Wisconsin's Craig Werner be invited to join Cliopatria. No offense to Professor Wilentz but I'd rather have some one who is more than just a music history hobbyist (and I include myself in that latter category).
Jonathan Dresner - 12/29/2004
I took a look at the Grammy List. As usual, I've only actualy heard one of the nominees.... one. Dave Van Ronk's live final concert (literally; he died shortly thereafter, though he sounds reasonably healthy for an old man on the album), one of the finest introductions to a monumentally important gentleman folkie and folk scene ever recorded.
Not only is it the only one that I heard this year, it's the only album I've ever bought on the day it was released: quite by coincidence we were at the House of Musical Traditions in DC that day....
He made a comment on the album that should serve as a cautionary note to all of us who do recent history. Lots of people interviewed him for histories of the "Folk Scare" NY scene, and the only condition he placed on the interviews was that they sent him a copy of the article/book, etc. He accumulated quite a collection, read them all, and now when someone wants an interview he just quotes them to each other....
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Cornel West and the Insular World of the Obama-Hating Left
- Fox to turn Doris Kearns Goodwin’s “No Ordinary Time” into a 10 hour series on FDR and Eleanor
- Martin Kramer says Columbia University professors claim Israelis are the new Nazis