Jonathan Steele Replies to His Critics
A month ago I linked to Jonathan Steele's"Ukraine's postmodern coup d'etat" here. In Friday's Guardian he reports that he received a flood of ferocious emails, mainly from Yushchenko fans, which exceeded the response to anything he had written before. In"Not a good way to start a democracy" he raises some very good questions about"electoral interventionism" by the U.S. and other western governments.
"Why," he asks,"is so much of it selective? Why do western governments (for they are the prime interferers) that claim to be fostering democracy take only one side, rather than being above the fray? Why are only certain countries picked? Georgia, but not Azerbaijan. Serbia, but not Croatia. Zimbabwe, but not Egypt."comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch