|THIS WEEK IN HISTORY:||This Week in History:|
- 08-20-1619 - 1st Black slaves brought by Dutch to colony of Jamestown Virginia
- 08-20-1781 - George Washington begins to move his troops south to fight Cornwallis
- 08-20-1864 - 8th/last day of battle at Deep Bottom Run Va (about 3900 casualties)
- 08-20-1865 - Pres Johnson proclaims an end to"insurrection" in Tx
- 08-20-1866 - Pres Andrew Johnson formally declares Civil War over
- 08-20-1896 - Dial telephone patented
- 08-20-1910 - US supported opposition brings down Madriz in Nicaragua
- 08-20-1918 - Britain opens offensive on Western front during WW I
- 08-20-1974 - Pres Gerald Ford, assumes office after Richard Nixon's resignation
- 08-21-1321 - 160 Jews of Chincon France, burned at stake
- 08-21-1831 - Nat Turner slave revolt kills 55 (Southampton County, Virginia)
- 08-21-1858 - 1st Lincoln-Douglas debate (Illinois)
- 08-21-1863 - Raid at Lawrence KS by William Quantrill
- 08-21-1864 - Battle of Summit Point, VA
- 08-21-1945 - Pres Truman ends Lend-Lease program
- 08-22-0565 - St Columba reported seeing monster in Loch Ness
- 08-22-1138 - English defeated Scots at Cowton Moor Banners of various saints were carried into battle which led to being called Battle of the Standard
- 08-22-1454 - Jews are expelled from Brunn Moravia by order of King Ladislaus
- 08-22-1642 - Civil War in England began between Royalists and Parliament
- 08-22-1654 - 1st Jewish immigrant to US, Jacob Barsimson arrives in New Amsterdam
- 08-22-1762 - 1st female (Ann Franklin) US newspaper editor, Newport RI, Mercury
- 08-22-1791 - Haitian Slave Revolution begins under voodoo priest Boukman
- 08-22-1846 - US annexes New Mexico
- 08-22-1902 - Pres Teddy Roosevelt became 1st US chief executive to ride in a car
- 08-22-1945 - Vietnam conflict begins as Ho Chi Minh leads a successful coup
- 08-22-1956 - Pres Eisenhower and VP Nixon renominated by Rep convention in SF
- 08-22-1975 - Assassination attempt on president Gerald Ford
- 08-23-1833 - Britain abolishes slavery in colonies; 700,000 slaves freed
- 08-23-1850 - 1st national women's rights convention convenes in Worcester Mass
- 08-23-1866 - Treaty of Prague ends Austro-Prussian war
- 08-23-1903 - 6th Zionist Congress, Theodor Herzl declares Jewish state
- 08-23-1914 - Japan declares war on Germany in World War I
- 08-23-1939 - Molotov-Ribbentrop pact: East Europe divided between Hitler and Stalin
- 08-23-1942 - Battle of Stalingrad: 600 Luftwaffers bomb Stalingrad (40,000 die)
- 08-23-1972 - Republican convention (Miami Beach, Fla) renominates VP Agnew but not unanimous-1 vote went to NBC newsman David Brinkley
- 08-23-1978 - Iranian students occupies Iranian embassy at Wassenaar
- 08-23-1990 - US begins call up of 46,000 reservists to the Persian Gulf
- 08-24-0079 - Mt Vesuvius erupts, buries Pompeii and Herculaneum, 15,000 die
- 08-24-0410 - Rome overrun by Visigoths, symbolized fall of Western Roman Empire
- 08-24-1349 - Jews
- 08-24-1349 - 6,000 Jews, blamed for the Plague, are killed in Mainz
- 08-24-1891 - Thomas Edison patents motion picture camera
- 08-24-1936 - FDR gives FBI authority to pursuit fascists and communists
- 08-24-1949 - North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) goes into effect
- 08-24-1954 - Eisenhower signs Communist Control Act, outlawing the Communist Party, at height of McCarthyism
- 08-24-1991 - Gorbachev resigns as head of USSR Communist Party
|IN THE NEWS:|
|REVIEWED AND FIRST CHAPTERS:|
- Robert F. Dalzell Jr. and Lee Baldwin Dalzell: Total Manor Makeover
THE HOUSE THE ROCKEFELLERS BUILT
A Tale of Money, Taste, and Power in Twentieth-Century America -
- Jack Kerouac. Edited by Howard Cunnell: On the Road Again
ON THE ROAD The Original Scroll -
- Still Vital, 'On the Road' Turns 50 -
- John Leland: You Don’t Know Jack
WHY KEROUAC MATTERS
The Lessons of 'On the Road' (They’re Not What You Think)
- Susan Jacoby on Ruth R. Wisse: HISTORY DIASPORA What's Good for the Jews
A scholar wrestles with Jewish power and powerlessness
JEWS AND POWER -
- George Perkovich on Ramachandra Guha:
HISTORY: INDIA Big Democracy
Appreciating the miracle of India's triumph over chaos
INDIA AFTER GANDHI
The History of the World's Largest Democracy -
- Bruce Watson: Prejudice and Politics: Sacco, Vanzetti and Fear
SACCO AND VANZETTI
The Men, the Murders and the Judgment of Mankind -
- Howard P. Chudacoff: Child's Play Has Become Anything but Simple
Children at Play: An American History -
- Howard P. Chudacoff: Children at Play: An American History, First Chapter, (PDF) -
- Richard Kluger: Reviewer can't stand his prose -
Richard Brookhiser in the NYT Book Review of Richard Kluger's Seizing Destiny:
How America Grew from Sea to Shining Sea, 8-12-07 -
- Conrad Black: His apologia for Richard Nixon in new bio -
Anthony Holden in the Times Literary Supplement, 8-8-07
- Rick Perlstein vs. David Horowitz: Who the enemy is -
- Charles Patricoff: History and Morality Demand We Stay in Iraq:"Look at how we helped rebuild Germany and Japan after World War II. Because of the good we did there
and are doing in Iraq, I don't believe we should ever leave Iraq. If we stay and rebuild Iraq, we will
demonstrate to the world that we remain the best force for good in the world. More importantly, we as
Christians can better influence that region for the Kingdom of God." -
|HONORED, AWARDED, AND APPOINTMENTS:|
- Thomas Gaehtgens: German art historian to head Getty library -
|NEW ON THE WEB:|
- Quintard Taylor: Debuts website devoted to African-American history -
AHA Blog, 8-5-07
|SPOTTED & SPEAKING EVENTS CALENDAR:|
- August 23, 2007: Thomas Fleming: 6:30 p.m. Fraunces Tavern for a talk on the Battle of Brooklyn (
This is where the American Revolution starts - Battle Week returns to Brooklyn with muskets blazin') -
24/7 Arts, Dining and Entertainment, NY, 8-16-07
- August 25, 2007: James McPherson: Featured at daylong colloquium in Andover, Massachusetts
on August 25th -
AHA Blog, 5-28-07
- September 11, 2007: Geoffrey Ward: On Tuesday, September 11, at 7 p.m., Archivist of the United States Allen Weinstein
will host an"American Conversation" with award-winning historian and biographer Geoffrey Ward -
Press Release--National Archives, 8-14-07
- October 4, 2007: Emmanuel K. Akyeampong: IDEAS Boston 2007 -
Business Wire, 8-13-07
|ON TV:||History Listings This Week:|
- C-Span2, Book TV :History Isabella Ginor; Gideon Remez:"Foxbats Over Dimona: The Soviets' Nuclear Gamble
in the Six-Day War," Sunday, August 19 @ 3:15pm
- C-Span2, Book TV : History Stephen Mansfield:"Ten Tortured Words: How the Founding Fathers Tried to Protect Religion in America...and What's Happened Since,"
Sunday, August 19 @ 7:00pm
- C-Span2, Book TV : After Words: Stanley Weintraub, author of"15 Stars: Eisenhower, MacArthur, Marshall -
Three Generals Who Saved the American Century" interviewed by Max Boot,
Sunday, August 19 @ 9:00pm
- PBS: History Detectives, Monday, August 20 @ 9pm/EDT -
- History Channel:"Targeted : Osama bin Laden,"
Monday, August 20, @ 2pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Shootout :Battle for Baghdad,"
Monday, August 20, @ 4pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Declassified :The Taliban,"
Monday, August 20, @ 5pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"9/11 Conspiracies :Fact or Fiction"
Monday, August 20, @ 9pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Lost Worlds :Secret A-Bomb Factories,"
Monday, August 20, @ 11pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"The Search for Atlantis,"
Tuesday, August 21, @ 2pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Ancient Discoveries :Ships,"
Tuesday, August 21, @ 5pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Wild West Tech :Outlaw Tech,"
Tuesday, August 21, @ 6pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Civil War Terror,"
Wednesday, August 22, @ 2pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"USS Constellation: Battling for Freedom,"
Wednesday, August 22, @ 4pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Wild West Tech :Law & Order Tech,"
Wednesday, August 22, @ 6pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Lost Worlds :Henry VIII's Mega Structures,"
Wednesday, August 22, @ 9pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"UFO Files :The Pacific Bermuda Triangle,"
Wednesday, August 22, @ 10pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Mountain Men,"
Thursday, August 23, @ 2pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Giganto: The Real King Kong,"
Thursday, August 23, @ 4pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Decoding The Past :In Search of the Real Frankenstein,"
Thursday, August 23, @ 5pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Wild West Tech :Vigilante Tech,"
Thursday, August 23, @ 6pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Dogfights :The First Dogfighters,"
Thursday, August 23, @ 10pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Our Generation :Woodstock,"
Friday, August 24, @ 6:30pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Modern Marvels :60's Tech,"
Friday, August 24, @ 7pm ET/PT
- History Channel:"Fort Knox: Secrets Revealed,"
Saturday, August 25, @ 10pm ET/PT
|SELLING BIG (NYT):|
- Tim Weiner: LEGACY OF ASHES
#8 (5 weeks on list) -
- Walter Isaacson: EINSTEIN HIS LIFE AND UNIVERSE
- David Halberstam: Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War,
(Hyperion, September 2007)
- John Kelin, Praise From a Future Generation: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy and the First Generation
Critics of the Warren Report, (Wings Press TX), September 28, 2007
- Maureen Waller: Sovereign Ladies: The Six Reigning Queens of England,
(St. Martin's Press, September 28, 2007)
- Rick Atkinson: Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944,
(Henry Holt & Company, Incorporated, October 2, 2007)
- Benjamin J. Kaplan: Divided by Faith: Religious Conflict and the Practice of Toleration in Early Modern Europe,
(Harvard University Press, October 15, 2007)
- Richard Avedon, The Kennedys: Portrait of a Family, (HarperCollins Publishers),
October 23, 2007
- M. Stanton Evans: Blacklisted by History: The Real Story of Joseph McCarthy and His
Fight against America's Enemies, (Crown Publishing Group, November 6, 2007)