How Many Vice Presidents Died in Office?Google Questions
Seven vice presidents have died in office:
George Clinton (served under James Madison)
Elbridge Gerry (served under James Madison)
William Rufus De Vane King (served under Franklin Pierce)
Henry Wilson (served under U.S. Grant)
Thomas Hendricks (served under Grover Cleveland)
Garret Hobart (served under William McKinley)
James Sherman (served under William Howard Taft)
Two vice presidents resigned: John C. Calhoun (served under Andrew Jackson) and Spiro Agnew (served under Richard Nixon).
The vice presidency has been vacant due to resignation or death a total of 37 years and 290 days, about a fifth of the time.
Eight presidents have died in office. One resigned.
comments powered by Disqus
- Timothy Thomas Fortune: A Great, Forgotten Black Radical
- Black History Trail Makes 200 Stops Across Massachusetts
- Emmett Till's Murder and How America Remembers Its Darkest Moments
- ‘Slavery is not a game’: Virginia school apologizes over Black History Month exercise
- How the Republican Response to the Mueller Investigation Breaks With History
- Every Sunday, These Historians Go to the Movies — All in the Name of Digital Community
- History has a massive gender bias. We’ll settle for fixing Wikipedia.
- Historians fight back as TV raids their research treasures for its shows
- "The North Star" Launches with Keisha N. Blain as Editor-in-Chief
- New Interactive Tool Maps the American War on Terror