Deboarh E. Lipstadt: Historian quits satricial Holocaust cartoon contestHistorians in the News
Lipstadt, who is currently in Rome, said she had made a mistake and that she calls on the organizers to cancel the contest.
The contest's organizers said they had not yet received word from the Emory University faculty member that she had pulled out.
Amitai Sandi, one of the contest's organizers, said he was saddened to hear of Lipsdat's decision.
"The fact that all the contest's participants are Jewish absolves it from any anti-Semitic content it might of allegedly had," Sandi said.
The contest was organized in order to ephasize the importance of self-satire in view of the angry responses by the Muslim world to the publication of cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed.
In a dispatch to the press, Lipstadt explained her decision, saying that at first she saw the contest as being ironic.
"It reminded me of a joke from Nazi times," Lipstadt wrote of the contest. "One Berlin Jew meets another. He is carrying (the Nazi propaganda) newspaper Der Strumer. The first Jew is shocked. 'You read that Nazi anti-Semitic newspaper?' 'Of course, If I read the Jewish press I only see all the trouble we are in... If I read Der Strumer I see how powerful we are. How we run the world."
comments powered by Disqus
- 1619 Project: New York Times Magazine Publishes Special Edition Dedicated to American Slavery and Its Legacies
- National Security Archive Releases New Briefing Book on Chernobyl through the Eyes of the Soviet Politburo, KGB, and U.S. Intelligence
- Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
- Illinois Governor Signs Bill Mandating Public Schools Teach LGBTQ History
- Controversial Monument to Women’s Suffrage Redesigned to Include Sojourner Truth
- Historian Elizabeth Hinton Profiled in Harvard Magazine: Color and Incarceration
- 'Clearly, he did not take part in our curriculum': Historians bash Ken Cuccinelli's revised Statue of Liberty Poem
- The Increasing Popularity of Hotel Historians
- If You Call It History, You’ve Got to Do History’: Historians Chafe at a Video That Omitted Their University’s Whites-Only Origins
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum gets grants to help publish Abraham Lincoln papers