Sheldon Stern: Objects to Peggy Noonan's lionization of Henry FordHistorians in the News
Former Reagan speechwriter Peggy Noonan thinks Barack Obama should become"misty-eyed" about Henry Ford (Globe, 5/13). Does she know that Henry Ford's anti-Semitic publications, such as The International Jew, constituted one of the most most vicious, public hate campaigns in U.S. history? Does she know that Henry Ford refused to build aircraft engines for Britain but accepted Hitler's Grand Cross of the Supreme Order of the German Eagle in 1938? Does she know that Henry Ford's German subsidiary, Ford-Werke, built over 120,000 trucks for the German army during World War II, used Nazi forced labor, and earned substantial profits for Ford?
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 5/25/2008
Maybe Peggy Noonan did know and still liked Ford. Maybe she wishes the USA had been on the Axis side as it almost was in 1934.
- 131-Year-Old Confederate Statue Removed From Alexandria Intersection
- All the History I Learned in my Youth Came from the American Girl Doll Books
- Is This the Worst Year in Modern American History?
- Role-Playing Games are Breathing New Life into the History Classroom
- Dallas Awarded $50,000 to Preserve Civil Rights History
- What Is Antifa, the Movement Trump Wants to Declare a Terror Group?
- Confronting the History of a Southern Asylum: An Interview With Mab Segrest
- Nazi or Hero? Historian Looks at the Stories a German Consultant Told of His Father
- History, Right Now: Echoes of 1968, and Other American Years
- Don't Assume There'll be a 'Post-COVID-19 Era' - Historian Niall Ferguson Tells World vs Virus