SOURCE: KOIN 6
Elliott Young: Know the History Behind Today's Crime Panic
The historian gave a minute-long background briefing on what's really driving fears of crime and what should be done.
SOURCE: ABC News
Liberal Portland has Long Been a Focal Point for the Far Right
Both Portland's current image as a progressive city and Oregon's historical origins as an explicitly white supremacist state make the city a focal point for far right groups and white nationalists.
Revisiting Portland a Year after the Rioting
Elliott Young, a history professor and police reform advocate, is among the Portand residents interviewed about the state of the city a year after destructive protests over police violence drew the far left, far right, and federal law enforcement to the city.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Violence In Portland Exposes The Real Purpose Embedded In Law Enforcement
by Amrita Chakrabarti Myers
Policing in America traces its roots back to the institution of the slave patrol.
The Complicated History Of Moms As The Face Of Protest Movements
A series of interviews examines the ways that race and social class affect the ability of women to use motherhood as a source of political power.
Portland History Professor Says She Was Shot in the Head by Federal Agents
"This is my home. I was protesting peacefully. So why did federal troops shoot me in the head?" said professor Maureen Healy.
Why Portland? The City's History of Protest Takes an Exceptional Turn
The "Portlandia" image -- of 1990s slackers driven by liberal ingenuity -- isn't entirely true to the city's history, says former professor Randy Blazak.
SOURCE: The Hill
Federal Agents in Portland Set a Dangerous Precedent
by Tom Mockaitis
The sight of armed men in combat fatigues without name tags driving around in unmarked vehicles to detain protestors might have been expected in Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, or the Latin American dictatorships of the 1970s. Such tactics have no place on the streets of an American city in 2020.
SOURCE: USA Today
A 'Very Dark History': Oregon's Racist Past Fuels Ongoing Protests Against Injustice In Portland
Christopher McKnight Nichols, who teaches history at Oregon State University and splits time between the school’s base in Corvallis and Portland, said the long trail of discrimination in Oregon informed the protests in a liberal city long known for its activism.
SOURCE: CBS News
Video of the Week: Portland’s racist past and present
"Oregon is a racist utopia.” – Oregon historian.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
The whitest city in America? It’s Portland, Oregon.
Portland’s also got a serious case of racism.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"