by Jeffrey J. Matthews
Powell’s outstanding service as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff notwithstanding, the perpetual lionizing of the general has had the effect of misbalancing the historical record. Despite of—or because of—his popularity and patriotic achievements, Powell has not been held to account for some of his major failings as a public servant.
by Teresa Meade
His career stretches back through some of the most sordid instances of US intervention and brutality.
SOURCE: CBS News
"We are not focused on the events of the 1980s. We are focused on the events of 2019."
by Jeffrey J. Matthews
And what it means for George H.W. Bush's legacy.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
The presidency survived the Watergate, Iran-contra and Clinton scandals. Trump will exact a higher toll.
by Carlos Lozada
Histories of past presidential scandals reveal common threads and turning points -- but also show how Trump stands alone.
by Donne Levy
This is the first presidential scandal involving a foreign government interfering with our election process and possible collusion by the man who won the election.
The idea that at some point party loyalty goes out the window and politicians become nonpartisan statesmen doesn’t hold up historically.
SOURCE: The Nation
by Greg Grandin
On the 30th anniversary, we can see that it was an ideological project, with the New Right reasserting the righteousness of militarism and markets.
- 1619 Project: New York Times Magazine Publishes Special Edition Dedicated to American Slavery and Its Legacies
- National Security Archive Releases New Briefing Book on Chernobyl through the Eyes of the Soviet Politburo, KGB, and U.S. Intelligence
- Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
- Illinois Governor Signs Bill Mandating Public Schools Teach LGBTQ History
- Controversial Monument to Women’s Suffrage Redesigned to Include Sojourner Truth
- Historian Elizabeth Hinton Profiled in Harvard Magazine: Color and Incarceration
- 'Clearly, he did not take part in our curriculum': Historians bash Ken Cuccinelli's revised Statue of Liberty Poem
- The Increasing Popularity of Hotel Historians
- If You Call It History, You’ve Got to Do History’: Historians Chafe at a Video That Omitted Their University’s Whites-Only Origins
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum gets grants to help publish Abraham Lincoln papers