SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed
Controversial Stanford "Academic Freedom" Panel Proceeds
"While many other speakers described higher education’s commitment to the pursuit of truth as fading, the conference was heavy on anecdotes and speculative diagnostics relative to clear data."
SOURCE: Perspectives on History
American Antisemitism and Nationalism in the Charlottesville Verdict
by Victoria Saker Woeste
The awarding of $25 million in damages from the organizers of the Unite the Right rally to nine people injured in the violence are not enough of a penalty to stop the political mobilization of antisemitism in the new white nationalist coalition.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
The key to defeating the far right’s online hate
by Michelle Kelley
“History provides lessons on how to pit popular culture against Internet hate speech and racist propaganda.”
SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed
A classicist objects to the classics being used to justify misogyny
In her new book Donna Zuckerberg explains how the Alt-Right have adopted the classics and why.
The Alt-Right’s Asian Fetish
by Audrea Lim
How the 'Model minority" myth blends with racist ideology.
SOURCE: New Republic
University History Departments Have a Race Problem
by Josephine Livingstone
The alt right is appropriating medieval studies and classical scholarship. What can academics do to stop them?
Lessons from German History after Charlottesville
by Jeffrey Herf
What we do – and do not – have to worry about.
No, Mr. President. This Is Not an Issue with “Many Sides”
by Ed Simon
Once again Donald Trump caters to the white racists who helped elect him.
Salon suggests Paul Gottfried, "a retired Jewish political historian,” was a founder of the Alt-Right
It was Gottfried who coined the term Alt-Right. (He also came up with Paleoconservative.)
SOURCE: The Conversation
The seeds of the alt-right, America’s emergent right-wing populist movement
by George Michael
How did the movement gain traction in recent years? And now that Trump has won, could the alt-right change the American political landscape?
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History