SOURCE: The Salt Lake Tribune
by Dennis Lythgoe
“The best treatment of McCarthy is to ignore him. That is one thing he cannot stand.”
by Julia Brown
Director Sharon Grimberg discusses her new documentary "McCarthy," premiering on American Experience January 6, 2020.
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Jonathan Zimmerman
After nearly 70 years, Republicans have stopped defending Joe McCarthy.
by Ronald L. Feinman
Trump has learned very well from prior anti-Communism crusaders, and it requires vigilance and activism to cope with the threat he represents every day.
SOURCE: The Nation
He says former CIA Director John Brennan's statements about Trump echo Jospeh McCarthy and J. Edgar Hoover
by Jeremy Stern
My grandparents fled Tsarist Russia to escape persecution for their ideas and their Judaism. They found a far freer nation ‒ but also reminders that freedom is not always secure, even in America.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
by Gil Troy
William Benton was an advertising icon and wildly successful investor—and with those millions backing him up, he took on the country’s scariest politician.
SOURCE: The National
by Ellen Schrecker
An expert on the McCarthy Era, she writes from experience and research.
In the US they were scorned in the McCarthy era, but at a China museum they’re lionized.
- A farm boy became a fearsome warrior at Iwo Jima. And he did it with a flamethrower.
- Plymouth Rock vandalized with red graffiti ahead of 400th anniversary of Mayflower landing
- The enslaved people who built and staffed the White House: An afterthought no more
- Truman and Coolidge go up, Jefferson and Jackson go down. How history remembers presidents
- George Steiner: The Last Viennese Jew
- Renowned presidential historian Doris Kearns Goodwin finally takes on George Washington
- Legal Historian Jed Shugerman Says William Barr's Actions Are "Remarkably Not Normal"
- Historian Ruth Ben-Ghiat Quoted in Washington Post Article on Trump's Quest to Rewrite History
- This one-of-a-kind conference celebrates the real people behind the Underground Railroad
- Zara Steiner, distinguished scholar of diplomatic history, dies at 91