Another Reason to Celebrate John McCain Was His Critical Role in Establishing the 9-11 Commission
by Anthony Toth
He made sure the most important questions were answered.
The Senate’s Incomplete Hall of Fame
by Ronald L. Feinman
Three portraits should be added to the room the Senate uses to honor great members: John McCain, George Norris, and Ted Kennedy
John McCain: What Historians Are Saying About His Legacy
Their tweets and retweets.
How Come There Aren’t More Republicans Showing Guts?
by Donald J. Fraser
If there were a time for a Profile in Courage, it’s now.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
McCain and Kerry outline lessons from Vietnam after watching new Ken Burns documentary
Hundreds of Washington insiders gathered last night in the Kennedy Center Opera House for an advance screening of Ken Burns's new documentary on Vietnam.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
What John McCain Can Learn From Clair Engle
by James Fallows
Half a century ago, a senator battling a brain tumor took to the Senate floor, and secured his legacy.
What Makes a War Hero, According to History
by Jack Doyle
Yes, Donald, even prisoners of war have become heroes for having spent time in captivity.
Col. Bud Day, Heroic Pilot in Vietnam War, Dies at 88
Col. Bud Day, an Air Force fighter pilot who was shot down in the Vietnam War, imprisoned with John McCain in the notorious “Hanoi Hilton” and defiantly endured more than five years of brutality without divulging sensitive information to his captors, earning him the Medal of Honor, died on Saturday in Shalimar, Fla. He was 88.His death was announced by his wife, Doris.Colonel Day was among America’s most highly decorated servicemen, having received nearly 70 medals and awards, more than 50 for combat exploits. In addition to the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest award for valor, he was awarded the Air Force Cross, the highest combat award specifically for airmen.In a post on Twitter on Sunday, Senator McCain called Colonel Day “my friend, my leader, my inspiration.”...
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"