SOURCE: The Chronicle of Higher Education
Claudrena Harold discusses the difficult conversations she’s had with students and colleagues at the University of Virginia. “These events tested their faith,” she says.
SOURCE: The Chicago Sun-Times
Arthur Jones — an outspoken Holocaust denier, activist anti-Semite and white supremacist — is poised to become the Republican nominee for an Illinois congressional seat representing parts of Chicago and nearby suburbs.
It is 2018, and we’re talking about Nazis.
The history of America has been written by normal white racists living in normal towns.
Nazis in America: Richard Spencer's Visit to Florida Targets Jewish and Hispanic Students, Professors Say
“When I hear Spencer saying, ‘For us, it is to conquer or it is to die,’ I hear echoes of [Hitler].”
The University of Florida historian is upset that the administration is allowing Richard Spencer to speak on October 19.
SOURCE: Time Magazine
by Arica L. Coleman
Blaming 'Bad Dudes' Masks the Role of Women in the History of White Nationalism
SOURCE: US News and World Report
By putting forward a joint resolution, which is sent to the president for signature, rather than a non-binding resolution, the senators are maneuvering to require Trump to choose between an explicit, one-sided condemnation of the white supremacist groups and risking a new round of recriminations if he vetoes it.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Ta-Nehisi Coates
The foundation of Donald Trump’s presidency is the negation of Barack Obama’s legacy.
- Trump administration says joint UNC, Duke Middle East Studies program portrays Islam too positively
- What White Kids Learn About Race in School
- Frederick Douglass photos smashed stereotypes. Could Elizabeth Warren selfies do the same?
- Chronicling New York’s Muslim History
- New Documents Illuminate The University of Texas’s Secret Strategy to Keep Out Black Students
- Women Scientists Were Written Out of History. It’s Margaret Rossiter’s Lifelong Mission to Fix That
- Allen C. Guelzo Reviews Sidney Blumenthal's Latest Installment of His Biography of Lincoln
- What Reconstruction-Era Laws Can Teach Our Democracy: The NY Times Reviews Eric Foner's Latest Book
- Should historians read their own book?
- Cokie Roberts, Pioneering Journalist Who Helped Shape NPR, Dies At 75