SOURCE: The Telegraph
Le Monde insisted that it had not intended to portray Mr Macron as being akin to Hitler.
by Walter Russell Mead
Western political systems are under strain despite good economic times.
SOURCE: Fareed’s Global Briefing
by Fareed Zacharia
Monsieur Macron is wrong.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
He says the U.S. had to rescue them.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
France will formally acknowledge the French military’s systemic use of torture in the Algerian War in the 1950s and 1960s, an unprecedented step forward in grappling with its long-suppressed legacy of colonial crimes.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Elizabeth Benjamin
Instead of celebrating the occasion, the French president appears to be inadvertently recreating it.
SOURCE: Foreign Policy
by Robert Zaretsky
Leftists want to celebrate revolutionary idealism; conservatives, the triumph of traditional authority. And Emmanuel Macron is trying to split the difference.
- A farm boy became a fearsome warrior at Iwo Jima. And he did it with a flamethrower.
- Plymouth Rock vandalized with red graffiti ahead of 400th anniversary of Mayflower landing
- The enslaved people who built and staffed the White House: An afterthought no more
- Truman and Coolidge go up, Jefferson and Jackson go down. How history remembers presidents
- George Steiner: The Last Viennese Jew
- Renowned presidential historian Doris Kearns Goodwin finally takes on George Washington
- Legal Historian Jed Shugerman Says William Barr's Actions Are "Remarkably Not Normal"
- Historian Ruth Ben-Ghiat Quoted in Washington Post Article on Trump's Quest to Rewrite History
- This one-of-a-kind conference celebrates the real people behind the Underground Railroad
- Zara Steiner, distinguished scholar of diplomatic history, dies at 91