Kate Strasdin Breaks Down Authenticity on Bridgerton and other Costume Dramas
A fashion historian examines the accuracy of costuming and other design elements of historical dramas like "Bridgerton."
SOURCE: Wall Street Journal
How 1880s Levi's Sold for $76K
Among the period-correct details establishing the provenance of the pants was an inner tag proclaiming the garments were made with only "white labor" in the era of Chinese exclusion.
Jeans: The History of the People's Pants Coming to American Experience
Denim touches the history of American slavery, immigration, industrialization and counterculture. An upcoming "American Experience" feature tells the story.
Photographer John Margolies' images of the Wildwood, NJ boardwalk are a peek into the past of the shore town and the history of the tacky beach t-shirt.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
America’s Most Hated Garment
Atlantic writer Amanda Mull turns to fashion historians Marley Healy and Valerie Steele to place the growing social acceptance of sweatpants in a pattern of clothing standards changing in response to cultural influences and social conditions.
How Clothing Can be a ‘Tool of Resistance’
Professor Tanisha Ford discusses the ways that the clothing choices of civil rights activists in the past and today reflect change and continuity in protest movements.
In Watchmen's Clothing, the Past is Present
Watchmen is a story about history.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of