SOURCE: Washington Post
"Nutcracker" Rooted in Dark Parts of Russian History
The ballet's roots in the celebration of czarist absolutism and imperial expansion doesn't jibe with its modern status as an anodyne holiday classic.
How the Nutcracker Ballet Went from a Flop to a Christmas Classic
by Bruce Chadwick
Today, about 40% of annual ticket revenue for all Americana ballet companies comes from productions of The Nutcracker.
- A Secret Joke Clouds Harvard's Affirmative Action Case
- An Amateur Historian Helped Find Richard III's Remains Under a Parking Garage. Her Story Hits the Screen
- Why LAUSD Teachers Walked Out
- The Role of US Evangelicals in Radicalizing Ugandans Against LGBTQ Rights
- Culture Warrior Chris Rufo is DeSantis's Most Important Ally
- The PR War for Cancer Awareness has Reduced the Stigma, but not the Cost, of Illness
- The Jim Crow Reign of Terror
- Francesca Morgan Dissects the American Obsession with Genealogy
- Florida Legislation Recalls the Tragic History behind Fights for Sex Education
- Kate Strasdin Breaks Down Authenticity on Bridgerton and other Costume Dramas