freedom of information
Matthew Connelly Presents Digital Lessons on the History of Government Secrecy
Historian Matthew Connelly offers a series of talks and lesson plans for social studies teachers about the origins and significance of government secrecy, classified information, and freedom of information.
SOURCE: New York Times
"Archives Rat" John Prados Punctured Military Secrecy to Write History
"Running through all his work was the contention that records of intelligence and covert activities represented a sort of historical dark matter: a vast amount of material that, while invisible in conventional narratives, could, if revealed, radically shift our understanding of the past."
SOURCE: American Historical Association
AHA Joins Lawsuit to Protect Historical Records
The AHA is party to a lawsuit pressing the Trump administration and the National Archives to comply with laws requiring complete preservation of presidential records.
SOURCE: FOIA Ombudsman Blog (National Archives)
The Importance of Preserving Pandemic Records
The National Archives has joined other organizations in a call to ensure that records related to the pandemic and governments' responses are preserved and made accessible to future researchers.
SOURCE: NY Times
Why You May Never Learn the Truth About ICE
by Matthew Connelly
The National Archives is letting millions of documents, including many related to immigrants’ rights, be destroyed or deleted.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History