land grant universities
SOURCE: Cornell University and Indigenous Dispossession Project
Assessing Cornell's Response to Revelations it was Funded by Taking Indigenous Land
by Jon Parmenter
The university must account for its role in the historical connection between settler colonialism and the development of American higher education.
SOURCE: Public Books
Robert Lee on "Land-Grab" Universities
Robert Lee of Cambridge University discusses his work documenting the treaty-like arrangements by which universities appropriated indigenous lands to build their endowments, an understudied aspect of the land-grant university system.
SOURCE: New York Times
Ask Who Paid for America’s Universities
by Tristan Ahtone and Robert Lee
The Morrill Act created endowment funds from land that the U.S. Government took from Native Americans with little or no compensation. Addressing the problems of public universities must not exclude addressing the problems of Native communities.
SOURCE: Duluth News-Tribune
3 North Dakota Colleges May Soon Acknowledge Campuses Are On Indigenous Land
"That practice, even if it is only a ritual formality, it nevertheless, I believe, sets a tone that makes for a more civil society in a land where a settler society lives alongside Indigenous peoples," said Tom Isern, a history professor at North Dakota State University.
- How Tina Turner Escaped Abuse and Reclaimed her Name
- The Biden Administration Wants to Undo the Damage of Urban Highways. It Won't be Simple
- AAUP: Fight Tooth and Nail Against Florida's Higher Ed Agenda Because Your State is Next
- Texas GOP's Ten Commandments School Bill Fails
- Former Alabama Governors: We Regret Overseeing Executions
- Jeff Sharlet on the Intersectional Erotics of Fascism
- Scholars Stage Teach-in on Racism in DeSantis's Back Yard
- Paul Watanabe, Historian and Manzanar Survivor, Makes Sure History Isn't Forgotten
- Massachusetts-Based Historians: Book Bans in Florida Affect Us, Too
- Deborah Lipstadt's Work Abroad as Antisemitism Envoy Complicated by Definitional Dispute