SOURCE: Talking Points Memo
The Path to January 6 Ran Through the Obama-Era Tea Party
The closeness of the Oath Keepers militia group to the Tea Party movement was hardly a guarded secret in the 2010s.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
Far Right Presence in Law Enforcement is Scary, but Not New
by Anna Duensing
Edwin Walker oversaw the National Guard's enforcement of integration in Little Rock out of duty. He held a personal repugnance of integration and soon traded his military career for the far right. Today's Oath Keepers are his political descendants.
SOURCE: Washington Post
D.C. Attorney General to Sue Proud Boys, Oath Keepers for Role in January 6 Assault
"The lawsuit filed in federal court in Washington, D.C., cites the modern version of an 1871 law known as the Ku Klux Klan Act, which was enacted after the Civil War to safeguard government officials carrying out their duties and protect civil rights."
SOURCE: The Atlantic
A Pro-Trump Militant Group Has Recruited Thousands of Police, Soldiers, and Veterans
It is difficult to know how many of the people--many retired or active military and law enforcement--listed in an Oath Keepers database are active members of the far right group, but the organization's history and the prospect of political violence mean it should be taken seriously.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of