SOURCE: Religion Dispatches
For "Religious Freedom Day," Take Back the Term's Revolutionary Meaning
The religious right has hijacked the story of Virginia's Statute for Religious Freedom, obscuring the law's intention to prevent the domination of the religious preferences of the powerful.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
Church-State Separation is Alien to Many Americans' Faith
by Caleb Gayle
The "classical" Christian curriculum pushes a historical vision that America was conceived by God as a beacon of righteousness, and that Christian duty is to eliminate secularism and religious pluralism.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
Alito is Fulfilling Promises to the Supporters to Demolish Church-State Separation
by Duncan Hosie
The Justice was elevated to the high court by supporters who imagine the First Amendment supports the pervasive influence of Christianity on public life and who reject the premise of a secular state. He is meeting their highest expectations.
SOURCE: Boston Globe
The Demise of the Church-State Wall
by Steven V. Mazie
A political scientist and court correspondent says that SCOTUS has adopted a radical version of the "free exercise" clause of the First Amendment that makes a mockery of the historic separation of religious and political authority.
SOURCE: Religion News Service
Influence of David Barton Resurfaces in New Attacks on Church-State Separation
Since the early 1990s ascendancy of the Christian Right, the movement has drawn on David Barton's assertion that the separation of church and state is bogus. A new generation of conservatives is embracing this line on the campaign trail today.
The United States Needs to Drop the National Prayer Breakfast
by Anthea Butler
Organized by a secretive Christian nationalist organization, the National Prayer Breakfast is an annual ritual that has no place in the political culture of a multicultural democracy.
- A Secret Joke Clouds Harvard's Affirmative Action Case
- An Amateur Historian Helped Find Richard III's Remains Under a Parking Garage. Her Story Hits the Screen
- Why LAUSD Teachers Walked Out
- The Role of US Evangelicals in Radicalizing Ugandans Against LGBTQ Rights
- Culture Warrior Chris Rufo is DeSantis's Most Important Ally
- The PR War for Cancer Awareness has Reduced the Stigma, but not the Cost, of Illness
- The Jim Crow Reign of Terror
- Francesca Morgan Dissects the American Obsession with Genealogy
- Florida Legislation Recalls the Tragic History behind Fights for Sex Education
- Kate Strasdin Breaks Down Authenticity on Bridgerton and other Costume Dramas