SOURCE: Washington Post
The Racist Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment was Exposed 50 Years Ago
The study ran for 40 years, as nearly 400 Black men were diagnosed with syphilis but denied care so that scientists could study the progression of the disease, even after penicillin was available as an effective and safe treatment.
SOURCE: Associated Press
How an AP Reporter Broke the Tuskegee Syphilis Story
Fifty years ago, Jean Heller revealed the horrifying truth that the US government had been denying hundreds of Black men treatment so they could study the progress of the disease.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"