SOURCE: Al Jazeera
"The only reason that can be offered for keeping a man’s tooth for 61 years knowing that it was obtained through torture and murder is that the cruelty is the point. Colonisation was, after all, a projection of power through cruelty, rationalised by pseudo-intellectual arguments about racial superiority and difference."
SOURCE: Al Jazeera
While calling Belgian colonial rule "unjustifiable and racist" King Philippe did not go so far as to issue an apology.
SOURCE: The New York Times
The statue was targeted by recent protests against racism and Belgium’s colonial history. The authorities said the statue would remain in a museum.
Harvard’s Maya Jasanoff vists the Congo and discovers people there probably live harder lives than they did 100 years ago when Joseph Conrad was there
by Maya Jasanoff
The trip was for a book she’s written, “The Dawn Watch: Joseph Conrad in a Global World.”
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Susan Williams
For many long years the American atomic project relied on Congolese ore.
by Gregory Kosc and Bradley J. Borougerdi
Westerners are still profiting from crimes against the Congolese people.
SOURCE: New York Times
by Howard W. French
How to keep the peace in one of the world's most war-torn countries.
NAIROBI, Kenya — American officials on Wednesday said that a team from the International Criminal Court was on its way to Rwanda to collect a war crimes suspect who had turned himself in to the American Embassy and that they were hoping Rwanda would cooperate.Rwanda has indicated that it would not interfere with the transfer of the suspect, Bosco Ntaganda, a rebel commander nicknamed the Terminator, to the International Criminal Court at The Hague, where he has been charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- Black Family and Kansas History Converge at Nicodemus Reunion
- Law is Unclear Whether Public College Faculty Have Free Speech Rights in Classroom
- Recovering the Story of the Black Men who were the Nation's First Paramedics
- U of Idaho Advises Faculty of Legal Jeopardy for Discussing Abortion in Classrooms
- The Long Shadow of Pinochet Over Chile's Constitutional Referendum
- Misha Matsumoto Yee is Gilder Lehrman's History Teacher of the Year
- Aaron Burr: The Highest Ranking US Official to be Charged with Treason – So Far?
- When Italian Immigrants were Tricked into Debt Peonage in the Jim Crow South
- Joshua Tait: Will Thiel-Backed Extremists Torpedo GOP Senate Hopes?
- Marcus Weaver-Hightower on the Politics of School Lunch