SOURCE: Washington Post
The NAACP is asking the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia to “eradicate the vestiges of a shameful, racist educational system in Hanover County” by ordering the schools to be renamed.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Warren Clarke and Nadine Powell
Given the strong geographical connection between Canada and the U.S., it is reasonable to question why Black Canadians are missing from the Niagara Movement’s historical narrative.
SOURCE: The Washington Times
Those who argue the song is racist point to a rarely sung and little-known line in the third verse that says, “No refuge could save the hireling and slave/From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave.”
SOURCE: Huffington Post
The anti-lynching protest became known as the first mass demonstration by African Americans.
SOURCE: The Boston Globe
by Michael P. Jeffries
Her failed reinvention is a lesson about racism, privilege, and identity as choice.
RICHMOND, Va. — A heritage group’s plan to fly a large Confederate flag along Interstate 95 outside Richmond is drawing criticism from the head of the NAACP’s Virginia chapter.The Virginia Flaggers plans to fly the 10-by-15-foot flag on a 50-foot pole just south of Richmond. It’s tentatively scheduled to go up Sept. 28 and will be visible from the northbound lanes of the interstate, although organizers haven’t said exactly where it will be located.Virginia NAACP Executive Director King Salim Khalfani told the Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://bit.ly/14iwLLJ ) that the flag would make Richmond look like a “backwater, trailer park, hick town.”...
In a pre-emptive move against a school safety proposal from the National Rifle Association that is expected to include a call for more people trained and approved to carry guns at schools, a coalition of civil rights groups unveiled its own safety plan Thursday. It seeks the creation of positive school climates, thoughtful and comprehensive crisis plans, and improved safety features that don’t turn schools into fortresses....
- After 3 Year FOIA Lawsuit, Washington Post Publishes Afghanistan Papers, A Secret History of the War
- "Indian Land Forever": The 50th anniversary of the Alcatraz Island takeover
- 'Modern-day Pentagon Papers’: Comparing the Afghanistan Papers to blockbuster Vietnam War study
- Nikki Haley's Confederate Flag Comments Spark Backlash
- Pinterest and The Knot Take a Stand Against Plantation Weddings
- Annette Gordon-Reed Reviews Alan Taylor's Book Thomas Jefferson's Education for The Atlantic
- The genealogy boom has hit a roadblock. The Trump administration plans huge fee hikes for immigration records.
- Hundreds of scholars protest Harvard's decision to deny tenure to Latinx studies professor
- Tweeting from the Past: History Course Uses Social Media to Bring Research to Life
- An Art History Mystery with No Shortage of Sleuths