SOURCE: The Washington Post
by Michelle Kelley
“History provides lessons on how to pit popular culture against Internet hate speech and racist propaganda.”
SOURCE: Tom Dispatch
by Juan Cole
The New Islamophobia Looks Like the Old McCarthyism.
SOURCE: Huffington Post
by Melissa Levinson
"My research on world history textbooks used across the country finds that sections about Islam and the Middle East advance a “rise and fall” narrative."
SOURCE: Think Progress
by Jack Jenkins
There is one particularly unusual historical example that helps make sense of today’s barrage of Islamophobia: when American writers, politicians, and even scientists argued that Mormons — yes, Mormons — weren’t white.
SOURCE: The Washington Free Beacon
While advocating against what they said is a growing trend in anti-Muslim rhetoric, the professor and students wore Jewish stars inscribed with the word, “Muslim.”
by Karine Walther
And it's undermining our understanding at every turn.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Tanya Basu
A brief history of a provocative word
SOURCE: Al Jazeera
Humayun Ansari is a Professor of History of Islam and Culture in the Department of History at Royal Holloway, University of London. On the 8th anniversary of the 7/7 London bombings, and in the aftermath of the killing of British army soldier Lee Rigby, it is timely to assess how Islamophobia within Britain’s political landscape has evolved since that tragic day in July 2005. Much evidence suggests that Islamophobia has moved beyond small fringe far-right groups to being far more widespread across broad sections of the population.
- How Jimi Hendrix’s London Years Changed Music
- Presidential Campaigns are Almost Always about the Future. In 2020, the Candidates Cannot Stop Talking about the Past
- Richard and the Revolutionaries: Why did Lefties Love Wagner?
- Trump Alleges ‘Left-Wing Indoctrination’ in Schools, Says He will Create National Commission to Push More ‘Pro-American’ History
- Black Leaders Launch ‘1776 Unites’ High School Curriculum
- 52 Years Ago, Thelonious Monk Played a High School. Now Everyone Can Hear It.
- From MLK to Whistleblowers, the FBI’s Trouble with Dissidents
- If the Electoral College is a Racist Relic, Why has it Endured? (podcast)
- It’s the 100th Anniversary of the Wall Street Bombing
- Ed Bearss, Past Chief Historian Of National Park Service, Dies At 97