Originally published 08/12/2013
Catherine O’Donnell is an associate history professor at Arizona State University.I am an historian with a secret. I don’t think studying the past tells us what to do in the present.I should qualify that: If you are considering whether to invade Russia in winter, history provides the answer.But I object when voices from across the political spectrum claim history tells us the answer to more complex questions: what our tax policy should be, why a specific crime happened and, most disturbingly, which political views prove us to be good citizens and which reveal us to be bad ones....
- A prominent historian of science dies and no one takes notice
- A pro-Hamas Left emerges among historians, complains Jeffrey Herf
- Classicist Mary Beard celebrated by the New Yorker as “The Troll Slayer”
- Ilan Pappé praised in Iran as a "prominent anti-Zionist Israeli historian and intellectual"
- It's hard to be an optimist today, but Juan Cole is