SOURCE: The Atlantic
An analysis of three interrelated failures of planning, logistics, and markets that led to the Texas electrical disaster.
SOURCE: New York Times
by Naomi Klein
The Texas blackouts show the political and social dead ends of the market revolution and the fossil fuel economy, says Naomi Klein. Politicians and industries wedded to the status quo are attacking the idea of a "Green New Deal" because it's encouraging people to imagine alternatives.
SOURCE: Informed Comment
by Juan Cole
Texas Republicans have gotten out of the way of the market and preached the futility of government action. A non-winterized utility grid is the result.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
by Gavin Benke
The problems in Texas are a product of an approach to the energy business that Lone Star State companies like Enron pursued at the end of the 20th century.
by HNN Staff
The combination of severe winter storms and persistent cold and a deregulated energy supply system without compulsion to invest in winterization has left Texans without power, heat or drinking water for days. Senator Ted Cruz appears to have decamped to Cancun while politicians blame wind and solar power for frozen natural gas refineries.
SOURCE: The National (UAE)
Investing in Energy and Projects Helped Pave the Way Out of the Great Depression: It Can Now Help Build a Greener World
The convergence of the climate crisis and the COVID emergency means that governments should invest now in the infrastructure needed to speed the transition to a carbon-free energy system.
by On Barak
The largest infrastructural project of the nineteenth century annexed the Middle East into the fossil-fuels complex. Reexamining its history is indispensable for decarbonization today.
by Mattea Kramer and Miriam Pemberton
Re-purposing America's war machine.
- The Enduring Appeal of the BBC's "Desert Island Discs" – the Longest Running Interview Show
- White Conservative Parents Got an Educator Fired, then Chased Her to Her Next Job
- Teaching Black History in Virginia Just Got Tougher
- If Ending Roe Isn't Enough, SCOTUS May Blow Up the Regulatory State
- "All the President's Men": From Misguided Buddy Flick to Iconic Political Thriller
- Belew to Maddow: Fascist Groups are "Nationwide Paramilitary Army"
- Far Right Extremism, Paramilitarization, and Misogyny – Statement of Alexandra Stern to the January 6 Committee
- Northwestern Prof and Evanston HS Teachers Engage Illinois Black History
- Jamie Martin: The Rotten Roots of the IMF and World Bank
- Review: Gary Gerstle Argues the Pandemic Killed the Neoliberal Era (But Democrats Don't Know It Yet)