SOURCE: Religion News Services
Taylor Swift Takes a Familiar Path to Hell and Back
by Peter Manseau
"In its own way, “All Too Well” tells a story not unlike myths of yore. It dabbles not in mythology, per se, but in the so-called “monomyth,” popularized as “The Hero’s Journey” by the folklorist Joseph Campbell almost 75 years ago."
SOURCE: Texas Monthly
The Next Battle of the Alamo! (Excerpt)
A new book takes on Texans' embrace of the Alamo myth and the politics of preserving the site, with an odd detour through the Alamo memorabilia collection of British pop star Phil Collins.
Nostalgia and Progress: Fake History and the 2020 Elections
by Walter G. Moss
Trump's encouragement of a nostalgic, pseudohistorical understanding of the past thwarts both the hope for betterment and the determined realism Americans need at this moment.
Os Guinness, Eric Metaxas, and Their Dangerous Myths of American History
by Abram Van Engen
"Only when we begin to see the multiplicity and complexity of history can we begin to understand how God moves in it and through it, and how we, in the present, can and should respond—righting wrongs and attempting to shine a light in dark places," writes Abram Van Engen.
SOURCE: Civil War Memory
Does a Confederate Flag Belong in a House of Worship?
The Citadel could lose nearly $1 million in Charleston County funding if it does not agree to remove a Confederate flag from Summerall Chapel, Councilman Henry Darby.
- A Secret Joke Clouds Harvard's Affirmative Action Case
- An Amateur Historian Helped Find Richard III's Remains Under a Parking Garage. Her Story Hits the Screen
- Why LAUSD Teachers Walked Out
- The Role of US Evangelicals in Radicalizing Ugandans Against LGBTQ Rights
- Culture Warrior Chris Rufo is DeSantis's Most Important Ally
- The PR War for Cancer Awareness has Reduced the Stigma, but not the Cost, of Illness
- The Jim Crow Reign of Terror
- Francesca Morgan Dissects the American Obsession with Genealogy
- Florida Legislation Recalls the Tragic History behind Fights for Sex Education
- Kate Strasdin Breaks Down Authenticity on Bridgerton and other Costume Dramas