"Space skews predominantly male, especially Apollo-era space history because that was the era when little boys growing up were being told, 'You can be an astronaut, too'!"
SOURCE: NY Times
For a brief moment, the civil rights movement and the space race came together.
SOURCE: The Los Angeles Times
by Michael Hiltzik
"We would never work 16 hours a day for 84 straight days on the ground, and we should not be expected to do it here in space." - Skylab 4 Commander Jerry Carr to NASA, just before the crew went on strike
SOURCE: Associated Press
Carpenter's death leaves John Glenn as the only member of the Mercury Seven still living.
- Why are Historians at War with the New York Times?
- Labor Historian: Amazon's Warehouse Victory is a Big Step, But Just a Step
- John Mack Faragher on California History as American History
- Nicole Hemmer Reviews Martin and Burns's "This Will Not Pass"
- "We're Still Here": Past and Present Collide at a Native American Residential School