by Christine Dehlendorf and Kelsey Holt
The notion that limiting women’s reproduction can cure societal ills has a long, shameful history.
SOURCE: New Republic
by Linda Gordon
"I suspect that I am not the only secular person who often assumed, however unconsciously, that politically active religious groups in America today are mainly illiberal."
SOURCE: The Weekly Wonk
by Elizabeth Weingarten
More than fifty years after the pill first came to market, its promise of access and equality remains unfulfilled for millions of other women.
In the '50s, selling contraception was still officially illegal in many states.
SOURCE: The Nation
by Richard Kreitner
A depressingly relevant—if fascinating—exercise it is, to revisit a special issue about birth control The Nation published on January 27, 1932.
Property v. Liberty: The Supreme Court’s Radical Break with Its Historical Treatment of Corporations
by Ruth H. Bloch and Naomi R. Lamoreaux
The expansive language is at odds with the way the Court has treated corporations historically.
SOURCE: Agence France-Presse
Lucien Neuwirth was a Gaullist politician who legalized the birth control pill in France in 1967... and fought in the SAS during World War II.
- The History Briefing on the 30th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall
- History Says Bloomberg 2020 Would Be a Sure Loser
- Then and now: How Trump impeachment hearing is different
- Poland asks Netflix to make changes to documentary about Nazi death camp guard
- What is a caliph? The Islamic State tries to boost its legitimacy by hijacking a historic institution
- Historian James McPherson Interviewed by the World Socialist Web Site on History of Slavery and NYT's 1619 Project
- Black Perspectives Publishes Online Forum: "Researching, Teaching, and Embodying the Black Diaspora"
- Distinguished professor, civil war historian James I. “Bud” Robertson Jr. passes away
- Noel Ignatiev, scholar who called for abolishing whiteness, dies at 78
- Historians Elizabeth Catte, Rebecca Solnit, and Peniel Joseph Quoted in Washington Post Article, "The Democrats Are Moving Left. Will America Follow?"