Are Historians Too Credulous of the Single Culprit Explanation of the Reichstag Fire?
by Benjamin Carter Hett
Did Marinus van der Lubbe act alone in setting the Reichstag Fire? Historians who accept that theory – including giants in the field like Richard J. Evans – should recognize conflicts of interest in the sources supporting it and dig in to newly available archives to make sure.
Richard J. Evans on Fascism, Today's Right, and Historical Truth
by Aaron J. Leonard
"Honest historians know they have to abandon their arguments when the evidence turns out to disprove them; dishonest historians and conspiracy theorists bend the evidence to fit the argument."
SOURCE: The Nation
Chronicling the Age of Hobsbawm: A Q&A With Historian Richard Evans
“The more I have read his writings, the more I have come to admire and respect him not just as an historian but as a person.”
Third Reich historian Richard Evans worries the similarities between the 1930s and now are too close for comfort
"Of course history never repeats itself. Democracy dies in different ways at different times.”
SOURCE: The Guardian
Jeremy Paxman accuses Michael Gove of 'wilfully misquoting' historian
Newsnight presenter says education secretary's remarks about Professor Sir Richard Evans over first world war were unfair.
SOURCE: Cambridge University
Cambridge University historian Professor Sir Richard Evans declines offer to sue Michael Gove for libel over 'Blackadder' First World War remarks
Gove had called Evans' arguments about World War I those of "an undergraduate cynic."
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"