SOURCE: Athletic Director U
The Power 5 Conferences Should Split Revenues with College Football Players
by Victoria Jackson
Another college football season means another chance to demand that universities and the NCAA recognize a fundamental fact about the dangerous and isolating work performed by players: they are not student-athletes, but employees of the football team.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
The Century-Long History of the College Football Coaching Carousel
by Andrew McG
Mass media helped build the lucrative world of college sports by establishing sports as a news beat; today's highly-paid and transient coaches ride the wave of an economy that thrives on making a splash in the headlines.
SOURCE: In These Times
Could a College Football Union Be the Biggest Force for Progress in the South?
"There are huge numbers of conservative Southerners who would fight against all important progressive reforms — unless doing so threatened their access to college football. Then, they would at least be willing to negotiate."
SOURCE: Los Angeles Times
Blame Football, Not Title IX
by Jonathan Zimmerman
Colleges are cutting other sports -- and wrongly blaming the 1972 measure that outlawed sex discrimination in educational institutions receiving federal financial aid.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of