SOURCE: The Guardian
From Goldwater to Reagan and now Trump. But Americans will fight this latest brand of cartoon conservatism.
by Heather Cox Richardson
The war against the liberal consensus began as a backlash against Roosevelt’s New Deal. Trump has simply stripped away its genteel veneer.
by Joseph Crespino
If she does it will be because there's the emergence finally of a real two-party system in the South.
SOURCE: The Boston Globe
by David M. Shribman
Whether Trump wins or loses, he could bring white working-class voters into the GOP.
by Ronald L. Feinman
Not much – alas.
SOURCE: The New Yorker
by Jeffrey Frank
In 1964, Republican Party leaders were terrified by the ascent of the conservative Arizona senator Barry Goldwater.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Christopher Parker
After Republican nominee Richard Nixon lost a close election in 1960, the more conservative faction of the GOP sought a “real” conservative standard-bearer in 1964, and found one in Goldwater. He would go on to win the Republican nomination.
by Michael W. Flamm
He lacked the technology, but he championed the idea that anybody with a driver’s license and a clean record could offer their driving services.
by Lily Geismer
Both of them paid homage to the free enterprise system.
- 1619 Project: New York Times Magazine Publishes Special Edition Dedicated to American Slavery and Its Legacies
- National Security Archive Releases New Briefing Book on Chernobyl through the Eyes of the Soviet Politburo, KGB, and U.S. Intelligence
- Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
- Illinois Governor Signs Bill Mandating Public Schools Teach LGBTQ History
- Controversial Monument to Women’s Suffrage Redesigned to Include Sojourner Truth
- Historian Elizabeth Hinton Profiled in Harvard Magazine: Color and Incarceration
- 'Clearly, he did not take part in our curriculum': Historians bash Ken Cuccinelli's revised Statue of Liberty Poem
- The Increasing Popularity of Hotel Historians
- If You Call It History, You’ve Got to Do History’: Historians Chafe at a Video That Omitted Their University’s Whites-Only Origins
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum gets grants to help publish Abraham Lincoln papers