SOURCE: New York Times
Buffalo Soldiers Statue Unveiled at West Point
The Buffalo Soldiers held a confounding position in the military, teaching cavalry skills to white cadets at West Point while housed in segregated barracks, and fighting white supremacy within the army while also taking part in the military campaign of conquest against Native Americans.
SOURCE: Academe Blog
Overcoming Setbacks in Academic Freedom at West Point
by Chris Arney
"The West Point faculty model and its policies have been evolving since Congress mandated the inclusion of more civilian faculty members in the 1990s. However, the clash of ideals and teaching methods between the academic and military cultures still exists, sometimes resulting in civilian-military discord and disagreement over values and process."
Gillibrand Urges Removal Of Confederate Symbols At West Point
The symbols include a portrait of Robert E. Lee, several locations named after Lee and a road named after Sontewall Jackson.
The Cost of Loyalty: A Crisis of Ethics in the Military
by Timothy Bakken
Military leadership has inculcated a self-serving culture of loyalty that prevents a long-overdue reckoning with its failures.
SOURCE: The Chronicle of Higher Education
Sexism in the history department at West Point alleged
by Peggy O’Donnell
Peggy O’Donnell taught history at West Point for a year. She says the sexism was “glaring."
Seventy Years of Military Mediocrity
by William J. Astore
The Shared Failings of America’s Military Academies and Senior Officers
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of