by Roy E. Finkenbine
What the answer to that question should tell us.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Randall Curren and Charles Dorn
Seventy-five years ago, at the height of America’s involvement in World War II, the U.S. Supreme Court handed down a decision in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette that guaranteed public school students’ right to refuse to stand in patriotic salute.
by Michael J. Pfeifer
It’s one we should have put to an end long ago.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
by Martha S. Jones
Black Americans have been threatened with deportation before. It never ends well.
SOURCE: Time Magazine
Here's how one player protested.
by Kenneth Cohen
Black athletes didn’t “politicize” American sports. They’ve been a battleground from the very beginning.
by David B. Parker
Why the president of Kennesaw State University might want to reconsider his criticism.
SOURCE: The New Yorker
by Jill Lepore
The fight for the First Amendment, on campuses and football fields, from the sixties to today.
by William Lambers
Hunger threatens Puerto Rico and famine threatens 4 other nations.
The history of playing the national anthem before sports games has strong ties with honoring the armed forces.
“No one has bothered to tell this story,” Mr. Greenberg said. “So I said, we’re telling the story through them, and their families.”
- The Exhibit Lauded Freedom of Expression. It Was Silenced.
- What 1860 and 1968 can teach America about the 2020 presidential election
- Nevada Sen. Cortez Masto introduces bill to honor women’s suffrage with series of new quarters
- Hillary and Chelsea Clinton are writing their first book together about 'gutsy' women through history
- The Hotel Historian Is at Your Service
- 2 New Podcast Episodes Discuss How the Republican Party became the Party of Trump and CIA "Black Sites"
- ‘Karl Marx: Philosophy and Revolution’ Review: On the Marxist Question
- Tony Platt Reviews Simon Schama’s The Embarrassment of Riches: An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden Age
- Professor Breaks Down U.S. Racism, Trump’s ‘Ugliness’ In 3 Powerful Minutes
- ‘Charles I's Killers in America’ Review: Regicides on the Run