by Michael Goodyear
It wasn’t Europe that gave us our idea of the Byzantines. They crafted their own Western European image.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Theodore Christou
Russian President Vladimir Putin has been described as a Byzantine Emperor in style, positioning Russia as the “third Rome.”
SOURCE: New Historian
37 shipwrecks from the Byzantine Empire have been discovered as part of archaeological excavations that began in Turkey in 2004.
SOURCE: Hurriyet Daily News
Officials of the Istanbul Archaeology Museum sent two archaeologists to the construction site to examine the entrance of the cistern and work was halted.
- House Panel Advances Bill to Study Slavery Reparations
- House Arrest: How An Automated Algorithm Constrained Congress for a Century
- Hank Aaron’s Name Will Replace a Confederate General’s on an Atlanta School
- How Domestic Labor Became Infrastructure
- ‘That Man Makes Me Crazy’: Neil Matkin's Reign at Collin College Draws Scrutiny
- “Containment and Control, Not Care or Cure”: An Interview with Elizabeth Catte on Virginia’s Eugenics Movement
- How White Fears of ‘Negro Domination’ Kept D.C. Disenfranchised for Decades
- The Sun Never Set on the British Empire’s Oppression
- Sounds of Freedom: The Music of Black Liberation
- How Americans Lost Their Fervor for Freedom (Review of Louis Menand)