Catherine McNicol Stock
Originally published 01/25/2013
Stock, granddaughter of the late Harold Finch Sr. of the Nash-Finch Co., is the Kohn Professor of History at Connecticut College.NEW LONDON, Conn. — As an Easterner with family ties to Grand Forks, I’m getting pretty tired of hearing about all the supposedly unthinking and uncompromising people in North Dakota.In the week after Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, D-N.D., spoke on ABC and suggested that proposed gun reforms might be too “extreme,” liberal pundits called Red State gun owners everything from “gullible” to “crazy” to “stoolies for the National Rifle Association.”On Jan. 11, to open his 5 p.m. show on pro-gun extremists, MSNBC’s Chris Matthews quoted JFK as he traveled toward Dallas in November 1963: “We’re headed for nut country.”North Dakotans never have been unthinking or uncompromising, and they do not deserve to be perceived as such today. In fact, there may be no better time to show the nation that North Dakota is anything but “nut country.”...
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- History wars are raging in East Asia
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?