SOURCE: The American Prospect
by Kelly Grotke
"Higher education has been captured by a vicious circle of financialization, which is destroying it as an affordable and widely available right of the citizenry, and as an engine of social mobility."
SOURCE: Woodrow Wilson Center and National History Center
Elizabeth Tandy Shermer shows that Democrats and Republicans intentionally wanted to create a student loan industry instead of generously funding colleges and universities, which eventually left millions of Americans drowning in student debt. Zoom, Monday, Oct. 4, 4:00 PM EDT.
Writer Anne Helen Petersen says that understanding the broken student loan system requires rejecting the narrative of individual choice and focusing on the history and social effects of debt.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
by Elizabeth Tandy Shermer
The federal student loan system has always been a smokescreen for government's failure to support higher education as a public good.
SOURCE: Harvard Magazine
A Harvard Law School initiative to check predatory student lending must contend with the entanglement of federal student lending programs and for-profit education providers, which dates to the Servicemen's Readjustment Act (GI Bill of Rights) of 1944.
Jenny Adams, an Associate Professor of English at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, discovered the story begins in the Middle Ages.
- What the Cuban Missile Crisis Tells Us About Putin's Possible Intentions
- TikTok Spurs Frenzy over Fake Photos of Nanjing Atrocities
- Justice Jackson's Questioning in Voting Rights Case Shows History Won't be Left to Court's Right Wing
- The "Stolen Babies" of Fascist Spain Seek the Truth
- What Lizzo Can Teach the Right about History
- Pekka Hamalainen's Ambitious Book Reinforces Some Old Myths (Review)
- Patty Limerick Speaks on Her Dismissal from CU's Center of the American West
- New Archaeology of Lost Crops Shows the Reign of Corn Wasn't Inevitable
- Shortlist for Cundill History Prize Released
- Mireya Loza's History of Farm Work Will Shape Equity in Agriculture Industry