Electing the President: How Do You Make Up Your Mind?Teachers' Edition: Grades 3-6 (Lesson Plans)
Download the PowerPoint for this lesson plan
Download the President Detective worksheet for this lesson plan
President Detective- When you are voting for a President what factors should you consider?
Duration: Multiple activities are provided depending on which activities you choose the lesson may be one 45-minute session to two 45-minute sessions.
Students will understand that choosing a President will require thoughtful analysis of their personal preferences, who is telling the truth, complicated issues and their willingness to look for answers.
Objectives: Students will be able to discuss issues, understand their personal preferences, compare and contrast different opinions based on facts, and match candidate’s platforms with their own priorities.
Essential Question: How does a student decide which Presidential candidate best matches their prioritization of issues?
Key Ideas and Details
Craft and Structure
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
The Choosing a President PowerPoint contains multiple resources and activities so you can pick and choose according to your class, which items would be most appropriate. Depending on your choices, you can complete the lesson in one session to two sessions.
Pre-work for Session One: : (Analyzing student preferences- Stereotypes )
Session One: (Analyzing student preferences- Stereotypes )
If you have a SmartBoard you can have the students go up to the board to list their answers.
Pre-work for Session Two: : ( Deciding who is telling the truth? and Understanding complicated issues )
Session Two: ( Deciding who is telling the truth? and Understanding complicated issues )
Non-tech: paper, poster board or drawing paper, colored pens and/or pencils for “Drawing the President” assignment.
Teacher needs to have computer access to Internet.
Links are provided on the PowerPoint if students have access.
If students do not have access, teacher will need to make paper copies.
Additional Reference Links:
Additional Lesson Plan Links:
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of