New satire unleashes Hitler on modern, multi-cultural GermanyBreaking News
tags: Nazis, books, Germany, Time, Adolf Hitler, satire
What would happen if Adolf Hitler woke up in modern-day Berlin to find that it was not occupied by Russian soldiers but instead by a vibrant, multicultural citizenry? This is the premise of the debut novel by German journalist Timur Vermes, Er Ist Wieder Da (He’s Back), which has topped Germany’s best-seller list.
Narrated in the first-person by Hitler, the story follows the Führer as he awakens from a 66-year sleep in his bunker beneath Berlin to find an entirely changed Germany. In the celebrity-obsessed modern-day city, everyone assumes the fulminating leader of the Nazi party is a comedian in character — and soon he becomes a celebrity with a guest slot on a Turkish-born comedian’s TV show. His bigoted rants are interpreted as a satirical exposure of prejudice, leading him to decide to start his own political party....
comments powered by Disqus
- John Shelby Spong, 90, Liberalizing Episcopal Leader
- Alabama Begins to Remove Racist Language from State Constitution
- Looking for the Gold Rush Town of Chinese Camp
- "The Eyes of Tammy Faye": When the GOP Got in Bed with the Christian Right
- Can This Group Bring Political Interference Under Control at UNC?