Blower Bentley heading to auction was modifiedBreaking News
tags: NYT, auctions, Bentley, automobiles, Blower Bentley
An extremely rare Blower Bentley will cross the auction block at a Bonhams sale scheduled for Aug. 16 in Carmel, Calif. Experts agree on its rarity, but differ on how pristine an example this machine truly is.
In the 94-year history of Bentley Motors, perhaps none of its creations is held in more esteem than the Blower Bentley.
The more powerful supercharged version of the 4.5-liter, 4-cylinder engine was the idea of Tim Birkin, who along with Dudley Benjafield and Woolf Barnato, comprised the original “Bentley Boys” team of racers. The Blower was fast, but it consumed profligate amounts of fuel and was not particularly reliable. Ettore Bugatti derided the Blower Bentley as “the world’s fastest truck.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Louisiana Governor to Decide Posthumous Pardon for Homer Plessy
- Brown Issues Expanded Report on University's Involvement with Slavery
- Michael Schuman: Xi's New China is Terrifying
- U. of Florida Dean Says He Was Directed to Reject Professor’s Request to Testify Against the State
- Ed Bullins, Leading Playwright of the Black Arts Movement, Dies at 86
- "Hail Mary" Sets the Record Straight on the Women's Football League of the 1960s
- Jeopardy! To Host Tournament of Professors
- Tim Snyder: "It Turns Out People Really Like Democracy"
- Direct Action: The Practical Politics of Protest
- Unenforceable Racial Covenants are Still Part of Property Deeds Across America