100 Years After the Great War, the Bad Guy Is Still ElusiveBreaking News
tags: World War I, anniversaries
BERLIN — A century after the start of World War I — the “just war” that was supposed to end all wars — the debate about its origins has become more textured and contentious, as much in once-imperial Berlin as in once-imperial Britain, which were adversaries in 1914 and are now confronting some of the same riddles of history.
At the core of the discussion in both countries is the question: Should Germany alone bear the blame? And much as there are those who cleave to the long-held view of many that German expansionism propelled the conflict, more recent scholarship suggests that its roots were far more tangled.
“Historians no longer look simply to Berlin to explain the causes of the Great War, but increasingly to Berlin and Vienna, to St. Petersburg and London,” a group of German experts wrote recently in the newspaper Die Welt. As one of the authors, Sönke Neitzel, said in an interview, “You can’t break it down into the bad guy is this one or that one.”
In a world as multipolar today as Europe in the early 20th century, the implications go far beyond academic debate....
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of