Some Places Are Celebrating A Different Holiday On Columbus DayBreaking News
Related Link Columbus holiday still draws controversy
As Americans celebrate Columbus Day on Monday, a number of places are moving to recognize a different holiday.
Seattle and Minneapolis are among the locations that will celebrate "Indigenous Peoples' Day" this year as part of an effort to recognize the marginalization of indigenous groups, who were already here when Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas and were nearly wiped out afterwards. The resolutions, which passed for the first time in both cities last year, will not replace Columbus Day, but rather recognize indigenous communities alongside Columbus.
comments powered by Disqus
- Leading Expert on Housing Discrimination Suing Appraisers for Discrimination
- A Century After the Elaine Massacre, Black Farmers in Arkansas Demand Justice
- American Democracy Wasn't Built to be Democratic
- VP Menon, the Civil Servant who Held India Together
- Nicole Hemmer on Alex Jones and the Right-Wing Media Machine