Long-Lost 9/11 Flag, an Enduring Mystery, Will Go on View at MuseumBreaking News
tags: 911, National September 11 Memorial and Museum
The moment was captured in a photograph, an unforgettable image that was seared in the world’s collective memory as a symbol of resilience: three firefighters raising an American flag amid the ruins of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.
Soon after, the flag disappeared. New York City officials tried to track it down, to no avail.
Now the flag has been recovered, though the mystery has not been entirely solved. On Thursday, nearly 15 years after it first flew, the flag will again become a prominent part of Lower Manhattan when it goes on display at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.
comments powered by Disqus
- The 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre: Looking Back, Looking Ahead: May 19
- Society of American Historians Announces 2021 Prize Winners
- Studying History Should not be Only for the Elite, Say Academics
- How Malcolm X Inspired John Coltrane to Embrace Islamic Spirituality
- Connecticut Professor Sends Controversial Anti-1619 Project Email Blast to Public School Superintendents